Monday, May 7, 2012

Psa. 5 050712


Psa 5:8-11  Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies; make your way straight before me.  (9)  For there is no truth in their mouth; their inmost self is destruction; their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue.  (10)  Make them bear their guilt, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out, for they have rebelled against you.  (11)  But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you.

One of my “daughters’ in the Lord sent me an encouragement and referred me to Psa. 91.  Wow – what a lift!  Have you ever noticed that when the oscillating blades are struck by compost it’s real easy to forget all the wonderful passages of assurance there are?  I do that a lot.  Being a “problem solver” I tend to immediately start thinking things through and seeking a solution – only to discover that I’m running in circles of despair.

Verse eight is a great way to begin:
Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies; make your way straight before me. 
Now that petition really gets the priorities in focus.  It really brings “cheek turning” into focus.  Regardless of our enemies and their actions we are to remain focused on Him and seek to continue in His ways.

It’s so easy to plan and plot how to circumvent, retaliate, avoid, ensnare, etc. those who do us harm.  Yeah – it’s natural and normal (for that body of death we tote around).  The flesh will indeed seek it’s pound of flesh.  But this verse centers me again to what is important (even if it feels like my hair is on fire).

I want to stay in His way!  Glorify Him!  Honor my Redeemer!

But I also want to smack my attacker.  That’s a “want to” that’s hard to avoid.  It may be easier when you’re under attack 365/24/7 but most of us get blind-sided only rarely.  So we get “provoked” (Eph. 4:26) and here comes anger and we start plotting and planning.  Which is exactly why these assault are hurled our way.  The divert and distract us from the main priority.

They also do something else.  (OUCH) They humble us.  They call our minds to the fact that as His people in this world we’re never going to be trouble free.  We will not only suffer for our faith but we will suffer just because we’re here.  Humble?  Sure!  Who am I to think I get a free ride?  Who am I to suppose (whether for my faith or just because) trouble will not come my way. 

Humble?  Yep.  Especially when we think, “What did I do to deserve this?”  Now we can do a lot of things and the consequences are tough.  But when we cannot see where we have done wrong or anything to draw the attacks we can get downright fussy and mifted.

One thing we have all done to “deserve” enemies is to hold Christ as Lord.  We really don’t have to do anything else.  Which is why our battle is with our flesh and the battle with evil is His.  Satan can’t destroy us but divert and distract us.  When I am caught up in battling the “enemies” without I’m not doing anything about my flesh.  I’m even feeding my flesh by getting caught up in battling my enemies.

I think that’s why the Spirit moved David to write verse 9 and 10:
(9)  For there is no truth in their mouth; their inmost self is destruction; their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue.  (10)  Make them bear their guilt, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out, for they have rebelled against you. 

These verses put these enemies in the proper perspective.  They are much to be pitied and prayed for.  What they are about may be wrong but it is natural for them.  It’s the only hope they have in this world.  It’s the only thing in their hearts and characterizes their whole lives.

We, like David, need to leave them to God.  Only He can change them.  Our active retaliation will not change them, just move them to a different target.  But it is God who is their target – it’s not really us.  So we leave them for God to address.

Finally we read:
But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you.

Ok – taking “refuge” goes against everything my “flesh” was ever taught about being a “real man.”  It’s the way of the chicken, the sissy, the coward – I write in “fleshly” terms.

In truth, taking refuge is what happened when He made us His own.  We just need to stay there.  When our enemies can taunt us into coming out or refuge and facing them on their terms we are gonna get whipped!  But if we remain in Him, under His wings, in His refuge then we can deal with the attack from a safe place – a place they cannot conquer.

It’s not easy to keep focused – but it is essential.  If I trust Him for my very eternal life – what is the occasional attack? 

I know I have nothing to lose (although it feels like it) from taking refuge in Him – I also know that if I leave His refuge I will lose much and even if I win the skirmish I will be sorely and deeply wounded.
My battle cry???

Lead me, O LORD, in Your righteousness because of my enemies;
make Your way straight before me.

Thanks Stacie!!!!!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

You're welcome! :)