Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Last Words - almost Part 1


Last words – almost
Part 1
For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me.   (2Pe 1:5-14)  ESV
I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me.   v.13&14
The context from which Peter writes is critical.  We have to “flash-bask” to that day on the shore and a conversation Jesus has with Peter.
Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go." (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, "Follow me." Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who had been reclining at table close to him and had said, "Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?" When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, "Lord, what about this man?" Jesus said to him, "If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!" (Joh 21:18-22)
There is a great deal going on between Peter and Jesus in this chapter of John.  It’s a pretty tough day for Peter.
Jesus shows Peter that at the end of his life he will not be free.  We think Peter was killed in Rome under Nero.  The “stories” tell us that he requested to be crucified upside down as he did not feel worthy of the same death that his Master suffered.  But we must keep in mind that “stories” are “stories.”  That Peter was martyred is not in debate.
The point I want us to see in this Part 1 of the series is Peter’s motivation for writing the preceding verses.  It’s quite simple really, “since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon.”  I’m not going to be alive for long.
Peter considers it “right,” to remind them of their duty as believers to never grow stagnant, to continue to be conformed to the likeness of Christ.  I won’t get into some long discussion on salvation.  Suffice it to be said that the presupposition I hold and I believe Peter held is well stated by D. Bonheoffer, “Only the believing obey, only the obedient believe”.
Not questioning the faith or willing obedience of his audience Peter wants so “stir,” his audience up.  He wants not only to awaken those who may be dozing but he desires to incite, excite, and stir up all those to whom he writes, which includes you and me.
To say these are Peter’s last words would surely be silly.  But to say that this is his last and lasting admonition would probably be safe.  His end is near – his concern is for the Body and all its parts.  If he has to condense his desire for them, his pray for them, his expectation of them, this is it.
Read the passage.  In it, through Peter, the Holy Spirit provides us with a clear and exacting list of qualities of those things necessary for our growth and effectiveness.  How can we not fall to our knees in both repentance and supplication?  Repenting our laziness and distraction from them and crying out to the Lord for both the conviction, will, energy and opportunity to do what is commanded here.
Peter says,
“Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have.”
And then writes,
“And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things.”  (2Pe 1:15)  ESV
I hope and pray you will consider following this series.  I pray that His Spirit will convict and energize you to diligently seek to follow Peter’s admonition which is also an imperative from the Lord.
The next two installments will address why we don’t and why we should.

No comments: