Friday, November 4, 2011


The “Silly Season” Cometh
Well, we’re gonna set our clocks back, it’s getting colder and a lot of poor souls will be doing a lot of raking.  All these are signs that the “silly season,” is coming.  Oh boy, what a thrill.
I’ll be republishing my articles from last year but I wanted to try to do something new a little earlier.
Thanksgiving is thanksgiving.  Regardless of what tradition and family say the whole idea is to spend some time intentionally reflecting on all we have (or what little we have) to be thankful for.  I suggest we consider enumerating our “thank you’s” within the context of our faith.
Jesus made it clear that God would provide for us the necessities of life.  For a lot of us He’s done better than the bare necessities, which (if you read Deut. 15) means we are part of His provision for others.  But I wander.
As we consider that for which we are thankful we have to start with His grace/our Redemption.  Actually, we can stop there as well.  Paul makes it clear that compared to His grace everything else is, well, waste (that’s a good word even though it’s not as graphic as Paul’s word).
How about we think in terms of comparison.  What would you trade for your Redemption?  I know, we all do the knee jerk, “Nothing!!!!”  But – do we live that way?  Do we think that way?  Do we work and play that way?
How “garbagy,” (new word) do we really see everything else when compared with our Redemption?  How insignificant, trivial, gross and meaningless do we really see everything else.
Paul says:  Php 3:7  But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
“Loss” here means “damage, ruin, cast away.” 
“Gain” here carries the meaning of greed, acquiring by unbecoming means.
Interesting contrast isn’t it?  That which I’ve acquired “on my own/for myself” is damaging to me when placed in the context of my faith.
So, maybe we need to think in two directions.  First let us consider the great blessing we have through and in Christ and let us be thankful.  Second, let us examine our lives for that which we have that is “gain,” and should be counted “loss,” and repent.  What am I thankful for and what should I be repentant about?
The silly season – brings with it a rise in depression, suicide, domestic violence, etc.. 
Why?
Could it be that in trying to be thankful for those things which damage us the conflict is overpowering?  Could it be that in stressing, even demanding that we all focus on the “positive” we exacerbate the influence of the negative? 
I am thankful for the trials I have faced only in so far as He has used them (and I cooperated) in His work in me.  I didn’t like the trial, I have a hard time being thankful for the trial, and I would that He hadn’t had to use a trial.  BUT, I am exceedingly thankful for the result. 
Heb 12:11  For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant
but
yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness
So, here’s a question for the Turkey Day table. 
How has God disciplined you and what is the fruit of that discipline that you are thankful for?

No comments: