Thursday, April 26, 2012

Loving Jesus 042612


Loving Jesus 042612

I occasionally have folks who are concerned with their love for Jesus.  I have to admit that I too ponder. 
This past Lord’s Day one of our Elders taught and his text reminded me of something it is all to ease to forget.  In John 21:15-17 a tough but wonderful conversation takes place between Jesus and Peter.  Keep in mind that Peter had all too recently denied even knowing Jesus.

Joh 21:15-17  When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."  (16)  He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep."  (17)  He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.  ESV

In verses 15 and 16 Jesus asks Peter if Peter loves Him to which Peter replies in the affirmative.  But where Jesus uses the word “agape” for love, Peter uses the word “phileo.”  This is an astounding difference.  Jesus asks Peter if he love Him unconditionally.  Peter responds that he loves Jesus with a brotherly love.  The difference is important.

Jesus asks, “Do you love me beyond and irrespective of your circumstance, feelings and fears?”  Peter says, “I have a brotherly human love for you.”  In a sense Peter’s reply is, “No, I don’t,” but instead of a plain no Peter tells Jesus that He loves Him but just not as much as Jesus is asking.

We are commanded to love the Lord with our whole self but we have to accept that we fall far short.  Our love for Him is subject to the “slings and arrows” of life.  It waxes and wanes in circumstances.  It ebbs and flows according to our health and felt needs.  It is a tiny thing compared to what He calls us to.

I was once told, “God is too big to hug.”  The point being that God, whom I cannot fathom nor understand well (yet,) is also beyond my loving well (yet).  So I must accept the inadequacy of my love for Him.  But I also need to understand that my love for Him is from Him.  John tells us:

1Jn 4:19  We love because he first loved us.

That we struggle to love Him as He should be loved is not the point.  The point is that he has given us love for Himself for without His intervention we would never love Him at all.

In verse 17 of John 21 the nail is struck soundly.  Jesus asks Peter a third time if he loves Him but this time Jesus uses the same word for love that peter has used.  Peter’s reply is precious.  He basically tells Jesus that as Jesus knows all things He knows that at least Peter has a brotherly human love for Him.

It is enough.  Without criticism or correction Jesus proceeds with what He wants to tell Peter.  Jesus accepts the love that Peter is confident of and in. 

Know that you do love your Lord.  Know too that it is an imperfect love – a mere acorn possibly a small growing shoot.  But love Him you do and accept it He does with all its waxing and waning, ebbing and flowing. 

Know too that in His time according to His plan you will love Him as he wants and as you want.  For such a love can only come and survive by the will and power of God.

There’s an old song by Pat Terry that helps me:

Holy Father, I’m your child,
The more I love you, the more I smile.
You know I love you, help me to love you more.

Precious Jesus, hold me tight,
The more I see You, the less I fight.
You know I love you, help me to love you more.

Amen!


No comments: