Thursday, October 4, 2012

1 Peter 4:6 Evangelizing the dead?


1Pe 4:6  For this is why the gospel was preached even to those who are dead, that though judged in the flesh the way people are, they might live in the spirit the way God does.

Is this verse as fascinating for you as it is for me?  The Gospel preached to the dead?  Now, not all the dead but those who died with only the “hope” and “promise” of the Redeemer.  

This clears up a lot for me in terms of those who came before the promise was fulfilled.  

Peter can’t only refer to Jews here but to everyone who had died – everyone.

Now – here’s a twist.  The Gospel/method being preached is obviously God’s chosen means of the offered.  So much so that even the dead were (note the tense in the verse) “preached” to.  How important in God’s plan does that make preaching?  I’d have to say it’s right up there, wouldn’t you?

But how much time, thought, prayer, study and energy (not to mention money) is expended for the preaching of the Gospel?  Think about it.  We donate millions to combat abortion.  We donate millions to fight evolution.  We donate millions to take legal action against those who would limit our right of religious expression.  But where is the money for the Gospel?
Yes, I know it is spent in foreign mission and translation work for discovered people groups; but where else?

Radio and TV preaching/teaching is aimed a lot more at the choir than the pews.  The messages on these shows may mention the Gospel indirectly, but the Gospel, God’s warning and call to men and women to the need and provision of salvation – not so much.  The invitational or confrontational part of the Gospel – the “choose” part is missing.

Perhaps the worship service isn’t the place to present the Gospel – but then why are we encouraged to invite non-believers?  What can a gathering to worship a God they don’t believe in and to express a faith they reject do for them?  Yes, men and women are brought to the Gospel by attending a gathering of believers for worship – but isn’t that a very indirect and perhaps impersonal method?  Have we begun to see an invitation to church as somehow part of evangelism?  

To be honest, I worry about the position I put a non-believer in when I invite them to a gathering to worship a God they reject.  I worry as I see them sing hymns of praise to a God they are in rebellion against.  I cringe as they bow in prayer to a God they refuse.  I worry that they may assume that going to church is a good thing for them – in their non-belief.  

It seems we have come to a place where we are content to only share the Gospel on our terms in our house.  We have, it seems, given up the model we see especially in Acts where the Gospel is presented at every opportunity the Spirit provides.  Yes, I realize that the Gospel was preached in the homes of believers when believers gathered – but the Gospel and not doctrine was preached.

Evangelism has been cut loose from its personal, intimate component and I think I know why.  It’s embarrassing.  What?!?!?!?  Yeah – I said embarrassing.  How so?  Well, it (and we) may be rejected, ridiculed, made to feel stupid, maligned and perhaps sued.  That’s embarrassing.

We fear (and I include myself) have allowed the opposition to silence us – or at least to drive us underground or into our own territory.  The Gospel is three things.  First, it is the Good News; second it is a scandal; and third, it is foolishness

1Co 1:23  but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,
Christ crucified = Good News
Christ crucified = stumbling block = scandal (offense)
Christ crucified = folly, silliness, absurdity

So, instead of boldly risking scandalizing others or appearing absurd, we either just shut up or we try to position our opportunities to our advantage – we play on our court.  Being the “home team,” keeps us safe – but it does not guarantee a “win.”

We’ve tried all sort of gimmicks, programs and events but even with these things, the sounding of the Gospel call has gotten more and more quiet until it is little more than a whisper – a hint.

And yet, the Gospel was preached to the dead.  Not to those in hell not to those in heaven but to those who were wherever dead people were at the time.  God uses the same means with the living and the dead – the Gospel preached.  When did we quit?  Why did we quit?  How can we quit our quittedness?

I have to share that in my tent-making, I have been careful not to wax biblical.  But I am beginning to not really care any more.  Wisdom is wisdom - truth is truth.  It is with no little amount of trepidation I choose to be more open about my true Core Values because it can cause me to lose business and even get sued.  But all they can do is take what I have and lock me away – right?  No, I don’t think I’ll be bursting into a sermon in the middle of a workshop or meeting, but I can talk to how what we believe directly impacts how we live and how we live affects how we live.

the gospel was preached even to those who are dead

We work, play, socialize, etc. with “dead” men and women every day.  Do we care that they are under the condemnation of God?  Are we willing to trust Him and to ask His grace to not only be sensitive to the opportunity but to be willing to take it?  Alistair Begg said something along the order of, “We need to ask God to make the opportunity and then embolden us to take the opportunity to share the Gospel.”  

The Gospel is not your, “How I Came to Jesus,” story.  The Gospel is the presentation of God’s gracious solution to mankind’s horrible condition.  It is the presentation of God’s gracious provision for mankind’s greatest need.  Everything else is explanation and decoration.

No comments: