Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Passing it on . . . .

I get a lot of "ouch "emails this time of year and just thought I share one of my responses.

In short - "if Ho Ho Hooey" is where you're at - then that's that - don't try to pretend it's not!

Letter to a friend:

I think God understands better than we do. I think God empathizes better than we do. I think God is a lot kinder to us than we are. If you had a broken leg, were blind or whatever God would expect and understand that you would relate to Him from that context. Faith does not mean, "put on a happy face!"

He is, "well acquainted with our grief," even better than we are. He knows that our depression - anger - sadness - etc. is the result of our being redeemed in an as yet unredeemed world. Especially in this particular artificial season. Remember "Christmas" as we do it is make believe. It is a tradition and not a designated/ordained holy day. Sooooooo quit thinking that we have to feel or act different for some biblical reason.

Seek to enjoy the enjoyable parts - being with your kids - being alive - being His, even though a big part of being sucks.

As far as the depression - getting any exercise? Eating better (healthier). Reading healthy stuff? All of that plays a big part in dealing with and improving our attitudes and even the depression itself.

AND - we can't let the NORMAL disappointments of the season have too great a value. I hate this season - viscerally. But I still like dark chocolate, British mysteries and Patti-----so I stick with those.

People talk about the "magic" of Christmas. There is nothing magical about a made up holy-day unless you're a pagan.

So it's Christmas and you're depressed. What's new about being depressed. We are depressed before and we'll be depressed after. It's nothing new and the "season" doesn't count!

I'm depressed but I'm grateful He was born. I'm depressed and I love Patti. I'm depressed and I love dark chocolate with blueberry's. The only thing different is this made up - commercialized - crazy period of time.

Anger and depression are kissing cousins. We're mad we're depressed and depressed that we're mad. But we have good reasons for both. Don't let the season add to the legitimate anger and depression. It is OK - as far as God is concerned - that you are as you are. He has NO problem with it except He aches with and for you - until He makes all things new.

Hope my rant helps!!!!!!!!!
Ho Ho Hooey !!!!
M


PS:  My xmas plans???  A movie and Chinese - no tree - no carols - no turkey - But there will be dark chocolate with blueberrys and Patti - what more do I need?

No comments: