Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Picking @ Nit ??

William Ames
The Saints Security Against Seducing Spirits   p.4

He (Satan) desires to carry on his undertaking and has set up a strategy in two chief ways: either to banish the truth completely out of the world, or to stop her growth and progress in the world. The one has been by open force and violence, and to persecute the persons of those who have professed themselves to be Truth’s subjects. Here he might at once make them weary of their possession, and deter and affright others from entertaining the Truth that was thus persecuted in those that profess the truth.
The other way has been by secret subtly and cunning manners to undermine and water down the truth - to mix his poison with God’s wine, whereby he might with less difficulty either cheat the professors and owners of it, or at least hinder the genuine and natural affect which pure truth should have upon the minds of men.

We are most fortunate that we do not suffer the first of Satan’s schemes as openly or actively as others of our faith.  Certainly we are opposed, reviled, dismissed and subtly attacked.  But we, as yet, have not had to suffer the open, physical and violent persecution that we see in other places.

Since we live under such a blessing it is necessary that Satan engage in his second tactic, indeed, “to mix his poison with the God’s wine.”   This he does both from without and within. 

Several things are at his service but the primary instrument he uses is human pride.  Pride is not in and of itself a bad thing.  It is however a matter of intensity and focus that determines its benefit or curse.

The desire of men and women to be accepted, to be part of, to be liked is in part, a function of pride.  We desire to claim, “I am _____,” and have that claim acknowledged and encouraged.  We do not want to not be a part of the world around us and so we erringly have to adopt the criteria by which the world around us judges.  In doing so we cannot but adopt, at least in part, the prideful desire to be or at least appear to be both acceptable to the world whose recognition we believe we need and hence desire.

Certainly we should not utterly reject everything those outside our faith proclaim.  Up is up and down is down.  Gravity is gravity and fire burns.  There is truth in the world but it is, in the end, God’s truth.  Up is up because He determined what up was to be.

However there is still much which we must at least consider rejecting as necessary or even appropriate.  One such element is Fashion.  This is an area where the world and Satan have oh so subtly influenced us and seduced us into giving greater value where it is not due. 

We would, I hope, all agree that naked is not how God would have us live in this fallen world.  Indeed the first fashion was designed by Adam and Eve and improved upon later by the creator.  So naked is not an option.

But what of clothing?  It is to cover our nakedness, protect us from the elements and…..?  What other legitimate purpose is there for clothing?  To impress upon the viewer some particular sense of fear of pleasure?  To attract or repel others?  To indicate our status or lack thereof? 

We get invitations to gatherings which actually tell us how to dress.  Does that mean that we may not attend unless we possess and wear what the invitation dictates?  What of “appropriate dress,” a term I hear frequently.  To me is means clean (if possible) and un-nakedness. 

Jesus said:
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'   (Mat 6:31)

Jesus tells us to not take thought about what we should wear.  Our culture tells us: “The clothes make the man!”  “Dress for success!” 

Paul writes: 
But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. (1Ti 6:8)

So, what do we do here? 

Is the following only applicable in church or is this a life lesson as well?
My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, "You sit here in a good place," while you say to the poor man, "You stand over there," or, "Sit down at my feet," have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?   (Jas 2:1-4)

I know, in a world that’s such a mess, why am I worried about this?  For me there is always the question of how broadly and deeply to I take living out my faith.  One hesitates to be weird or eccentric and certainly one does not want to offend but at some point each of us has to find their “Enough!” point.

The passage in James makes the distinction between “fine” (radiant, magnificent clothes) and “shabby” (dirty or relatively cheap) clothes.  But our culture takes it farther.  Whose logo or initials are on those clothes?  Where were they bought?  Are they “in style?”
What’s the point – why am I fretting?  When I was sick several years ago I lost about 80 pounds and 12 inches in about 2 months.  Needless to say nothing (except my socks) fit anymore.  Now in my work I associate with folks who dress according to the dictates of fashion and culture.  I was able to do that until a third of me disappeared.  Since then I’ve wrestled a lot (I know, how silly) over – well, clothes. 

Can I in good conscience spend money in order to appease, please or conform to the demands of the culture I live in?  Can I, in good conscience accept what I see as questionable criteria in order to wrap the package well?  To be honest, I almost throw-up when I think about going back to the old “dress for success” mind-set.

Does a suit make me any better at what I do?  Does a tie make me a professional?  If a potential client expects me to conform to the clothing culture do I really want to work for them anyway?  Is this a real issue or do I just need to up my meds? 

OK – picking at nits???  But for me it’s a real struggle. 

How about you?  Any nits your conscience picks at?  Any frustrations or conflicts over what culture expects of you and what your conscience tells you?

No comments: