Friday, January 11, 2013

Grey day - hopeful heart - a prayer

031113

It's a cold and foggy day, just made for a fire and a good book.  But, maybe for some it's just a grey day.  You know, one of those days where you can only see so far, your a little stressed by the fogginess not sure what's ahead.

Well, as I think about that I realize that even without the fog our ability to see what's ahead is still limited.  It's the shrinking of that ability that makes is seem worse.  So I went to the Word to find some encouragement.  I didn't want to go for all the common, be joyful or don't worry, or fear not verse.  I wanted something fresh - and I think I found it.

We read the scriptures and if we're honest, there are parts that we are so familiar with that we fly right past them.  There are also parts that we may read but we don't expect to gain any great insight from.  The introductions and and endings of the epistles are one example.

But today I found a real gem - at  least for me.


2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 ESV
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, [17] comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word.

Read it    s l o w l y.

I realized that it is so easy to get so fixed on the issues Patti and I face and that those we're close to face that I forget - well - you guys.  Of course not knowing your circumstances or needs it's a bit difficult to pray knowingly.  But here in these verses I found a prayer I can pray for us all - all the time - with GREAT confidence.

It would only require a little change to be utterly inclusive.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 ESV
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, [17] comfort your  (OUR)   hearts and establish them in every good work and word.

I plan to memorize this benediction - not to be used as some vain repetition but rather as a whole hearted supplication for us all.  I find that for me, it's short, sweet and right on point.

Over the past few days I have been kind of hooked (ok, obsessed) with the whole idea of comfort.  In my initial study I am beginning to see that "comfort" is what we need in distress and not in good times.  So far in the Word I find comfort more mentioned more often in regards to trials than as a blessing that stands alone.   I hope to continue to understand comfort and our need for it and hope to share what I find with you.

But - to close - Please know that there is a scruffy old sheepdog our here going to the throne of grace beseeching our Lord for your comfort and that it enables you to continue in every good work and word.

M(S)S

No comments: