Sunday, January 6, 2013

'SHIP 003


'SHIP  003

Obedience is our duty.  We have both a commission to fulfill and an obligation to grow.

Are you?  Obedience?

It takes work - hard work.

It takes sacrifice - tough sacrifice.

It take your commitment - which of course is meaningless without the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Peter tells us that we have been given everything we need for life and godliness.  Now that's not some certificate or diploma.  It's the means we have everything needed to begin and continue in the fulfillment of our obligtion and the fulfilling of our commission.

So, how're we doing?  Are we "lukewarm" like our brothers and sisters in Laodicia?  

Revelation 3:15-22 ESV
"'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! [16] So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. [17] For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. [18] I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. [19] Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. [20] Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. [21] The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. [22] He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'"

What's "lukewarmness?"

For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 

Ouch!  Also, note verse 20!  Contrary to how we have heard this verse used, Jesus is talking to the Church (collectively and individually).  Hellooooo!  Anybody home?

How can Christ be "outside" the Church knocking on the door to come in?  I have no idea but obviously it's possible.

No look closely at verse 20b.  "If anyone," "in to him," "eat with him," "grant him."

Him (and of course Her as well - duhh) - singular.  That means we do not wait on everybody else!  We don't need to!  Indeed, we can not afford to!

You are a sheep - part of a flock -BUT whether the flock follows the Shepherd (or not), you can, you must.  What does "following" the shepherd look like?  Simple, trusting obedience to the one trusted.

But, when sheep get fat they tend to get sassy.  They're full, they have no sense of danger so they just do their own thing.  They don't sense the NEED anything.

Oh, wait, could this be something?  Do we tend to forget our need?  Not our need for food, for material provision but our NEED for Him.  Let me ask two questions.  First, "When was the last time you were convicted of sin?"  Second, "When was the last time you sinned?"  Any disconnect there?   Any loss of sensitivity?  Any (and oh this is scary) absense of sensitivity?

Uhhhhhhh --- 1 John 1:8-10 ESV
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [10] If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Oh, we'll cop to sins - when they're in our faces.  But do we live insensitive to them?  Do we minimize, ignore, prevaricate?  Are we able to dodge conviction?  Are we shown our sin and then comparing it to what we call BIGGIES do we just walk past it?  The eating of a piece of fruit threw the whole of creation into the corruption and devastation of sin.  So how serious is any sin?

Do you hate sin as sin or do you just hate the consequences?  

Consider:
"...the choicest believers, who are assuredly freed from the condemning power of sin, ought yet to make it their business all their days to mortify the indwelling power of sin...Do you mortify; do you make it your daily work; be always at it whilst you live; cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you. Your being dead with Christ virtually, your being quickened with him, will not excuse you from this work."                                From Mortification of Sin, by John Owen.

Disobedience is sin.  Right" Or have I missed something?

No comments: