Sunday, January 27, 2013

Psa. 119:116-117


Psalm 119:116-117 ESV
Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live, and let me not be put to shame in my hope! [117] Hold me up, that I may be safe and have regard for your statutes continually!

"Uphold,"  "Hold me up."  

The Psalmist seeks support to stand, stability to not waiver, comfort in distress - and who among us does not?  Of course, we all do.

BUT - one scheme of our enemies (w,f,d = the world the flesh and the devil) like to use is to get us to be at ease.  To get us to trust more in ourselves and others than we do in Him.  

I have a very close friend who shares about God answering prayer and his saying, "Ok God, I've got it from here."  He relates that, as he looks back, God seems to have said to him, "Oh, you do? Well, I'll just step over here and let you do it."  Then he goes on to share how he learned that there is never a time when he can not be utterly dependent upon God.

This passage reminded me of that and of the foolishness of my self-conceit - my prideful self-confidence.  

The only answer to the danger of "ease" or "prosperity" is to discipline ourselves to continually (vs. 117) attend to God and His Word.  It's a battle not uncommon to believers and though we do not want to fall into the trap of "works" we do need to be about the duties and blessings of the faith (which are one in the same).

As we are so very prone to cry out to God in times of need so we should be in times of less or little need.  Our need for the essentials for life, He has promised.  Their quality and quantity He has not promised.  When have or sense a lack of what we think we "need" we must be very careful to examine our sensation.  Where does this sense of need come from, why is it distressing me?

Certainly we have very real needs and when we can't see how they will be met it is chilling.  But when the chill passes we can grow lukewarm and lazy and complacent until we sense another need.

I am learning that as I am sure many of you are as well.  When we find that this has been a redundant state we (I) need to repent.  But, more than that I need to seek to have my need for that state/condition/habit/SIN to be put far from me.  The lesson isn't so much about what I need to do but what I need for Him to do in me.  First In need for Him to grow greater in my heart and mind - to be more Him. 

Second I need Him to keep this lesson in my mind and heart.  I need Him to change my mind and heart so that this lesson is learned and learned well.

Third I need Him to move me and to help me examine my heart and for Him to "keep" it as I do.

Fourth I need His grace to remember that it is more about He than me.  

Fifth, I need to look at the product(s) and possessions of my selfness and be grateful that though I wandered and He loves me enough to catch me and draw me back.  I also need to accept His forgiveness and not grovel or snivel but rather come to Him humbly - as a child found and restored.

Overall, I need Him to grow me in the likeness of His Son and accept that is the most important thing I can ask for.


No comments: