Wednesday, September 19, 2012

This and That 091012b Oh, be careful but proud


When men have had enlargements in their expressions, and especially when they apprehend that others are satisfied or affected therewith, they are apt to have a secret self-pleasing in what they have done; which, before they are aware, turns into pride and a noxious elation of mind. 
Owen, John (2011-09-27). Grace and Duty of Being Spiritually Minded [Illustrated] (Kindle Locations 747-749).  . Kindle Edition.

From praise to pride is a very short journey.

From kudos to conceit is a just a step.

From glorifying Him to glorifying ourselves doesn’t take much of a nudge.

Doing works of ministry should certainly make us feel good.  But it is the good of the instrument not the good of the player.  I have heard the most beautiful music come from a simple Penny Whistle as well as a costly clarinet.  It was not the instrument but the musician.

Paul writes:  “In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God.” Rom 15:17

See, there is a humble and godly pride.  It is a pride of the instrument – the one through whom God makes His music.  It is, “in Christ!”

But it is also a danger.  The danger is when we allow ourselves to be carried away from the source – the means – the power of our performance. 

We all have skills and talents and they may or may not be our “spiritual gifts.”  But they are all gifts.  I work hard to differentiate between my skills and my “gifts.”  Though I thank God for them both they are not all given for the same use.  Yes, they are given for the purpose of glorifying God but they are not all useful in the works of ministry He has called us to.

Because of my upbringing and experience I have a lot of things I can do and do well.  The danger comes when I decide which are for His glory and which are just there.
I know this sounds strange but what talents etc., I use in my work and how I use them is not the same as when I am about His work.  Yes I know He is in it all but I discern a difference as I use them.  It is hard to explain but just because I can “X” does not mean He wants “X” to be of any importance in my work for Him. 

Pride comes in when I assume that I should use a talent or skill just because I can and in doing that I keep someone else from being able to use their gifts in His service.  Even when I think I might do it better, or especially when I think I might do it better, pride is there and I must sit still.

OK this is OOC (out of context) but the principle has helped me:
1Co 10:23-24  "All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up.  (24)  Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

Let me give you an extreme example.  I was given my first gun and taught to shoot when I was still in diapers.  I am a certified Revolver Master Marksman.  Now, pray tell, how do I use that for His glory?  I know I can think of lots of ways that skill might be used but there is no direct connection for me.

On the other hand, I was forced to take part in musicals and plays when I was very young.  Now understand I am a terminal introvert – so, at times I was whipped because I didn’t want to participate.  But, I learned to “do” extroverted things.  So, I use those skills in my work and my ministry.  Yeah, it’s hard to correlate being forced to do something with it being a “gift,” but it was – and is.

I have been told that I can be intimidating.  Now, when I was in law enforcement, that was a good thing – but “in Him,” not so much.

There are, what I call, seed gifts (no that’s not biblical) that have produced skills, talents and abilities that have are “gifts.”  The “acorn” isn’t the gift but the “oak” is.

I want you to know something I “think.”  I think that if you look back at both the blessings and trials that He has provided you will see the “acorns.”  Then, look for the “oaks.”  I have worked with a lot of brothers and sister who, at some point in their lives, experienced horrible things.  I have noticed that they are so focused on the trauma that they miss the “oak” in the yard. 

That of which many are ashamed can be used by Him to His glory in His work.
2Co 1:3-4  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,  (4)  who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

That’s just one way he uses our “acorns” to grow “oaks.”  But remember, we are not to take pride in our having been comforted rather we are to take pride in the comforter.

2Ti 2:20-21  Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable.  (21)  Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.
With Paul, let us:  :  “In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God.” Rom 15:17

No comments: