Sunday, September 23, 2012

This and That: Coveting 092312


I consider covetousness as the most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin, by which professors of the gospel, in our materialistic society, are hindered in their spiritual progress. A disposition deeply rooted in our fallen nature, strengthened by the custom of all around us, the power of habit, and the fascinating charm of wealth-is not easily counteracted.  

The language of faith, when in exercise, will not be, "What is most conducive to my temporal ease and prosperity?" But "What will give me the best opportunity of glorifying him, who has bought me with his blood, and called me out of darkness into his marvelous light?
John Newton July 1725 1807

Luk 12:15 And he said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
Rom 7:8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead.
Eph 5:3  But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.
Col 3:5-6  Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.  (6)  On account of these the wrath of God is coming.

Covetousness:  pleonexía; from pleíōn, more, and échō to;  to want more.
Yesterday Patti and I went looking at computers.  Hers, being about 6 years old is on its last legs and we are selling stuff to get her a new one.  Between editing my blogs and working on her photography it’s about time she had a new machine.  Being able to do this is a blessing.

But – the looking, for me, was crushing.  I did not realize the covetousness that yet lingered in my heart until we started the search.  Trying to get an answer to, “what is the bare minimum she needs?” from a salesman was like pulling teeth.  Of course he recommended the “on sale” super machine with all the bells and whistles she doesn’t need.

However that wasn’t the problem.  The problem was that as we looked I found myself growing dissatisfied with my computer.  Now my computer meets all the needs of which I can think.  Needing little more than a machine on which I can do my writing and the occasional Power Point presentation I actually probably have more than I need.  That’s just the fact.

Yet as I looked I lusted and as I lusted I could literally feel myself slipping into turmoil over not being able to have the latest and greatest, coolest and neatest.  Why?  Well, at the root is my fallenness.  Next is my lack of examining me heart for this covetousness.  Finally it is the good old:  1Jn 2:16 “the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions.”

I did not have a need, I knew I did not have a need and yet somehow I felt irritated that I could not get what I did not need.  I felt insufficient, less than, hindered, hampered even cheated.  Now, is that nuts or what?  Well, it’s nuts but it is also sin.

How can we (ok, I) begin to root out this, as Newton calls it, “most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin?”

Newton writes, “The principle of this evil is so strong in us, and so powerfully nourished by almost everything around us, that it is seldom suppressed, but by a course of sharp discipline.”

Newton writes well when he writes: 
I am where he has placed me; and the calling in which his mercy found me, (if it be a lawful one,) is that in which, for the present, I am to abide, as the best for me. When it ceases to be so, I may depend upon him to appoint me another. But, until then, I desire to be contented with such things as I have, and to be thankful for them. He knows my frame, my feelings, my needs, and my trials; he permits, yes, invites me to cast all my cares upon him. He assures me that he cares for me, and therefore I only wish to do or to suffer according to his will today, and to leave the concerns of tomorrow in his hands. While I live-may I live for him! And when I die-may I go to him! May his grace be sufficient for me-and all shall be well."
The key in the above quote, at least for me is his comment, “I desire to be contented with such things as I have, and to be thankful for them.” 

Since James tells us that, Jas 4:1  “. . . .Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you?”  I must conclude that it is my “passions,” that is “pleasures” that are the, or at least a, source of my stumbling.  So I have to ask, what brings me pleasure?  Is it staying in vogue?  Keeping up with the Joneses?  Having the latest and greatest? 

I have to confess it must be.  And I must repent.  But repentance comes hard for it, in this case, must be continuous and consistent.  I must fix my heart and mind on engaging this failing and examine as minutely as possible what I allow to bring me pleasure.  What makes me feel OK, safe, secure, valuable, meaningful and good enough?

Here again, Newton provides a key: 
“He knows my frame, my feelings, my needs, and my trials; he permits, yes, invites me to cast all my cares upon him. He assures me that he cares for me, and therefore I only wish to do or to suffer according to his will today, and to leave the concerns of tomorrow in his hands.”
I would only add one thing to this; that I remember and be grateful that He provides me with not only everything I need as I need it but, what I want if I need it.  So as well as wishing to do or to suffer according to His will, I also wish to have or not have what He wills.  Everything outside of that can hardly be counted a blessing.

A favorite, and until now obviously meaningless prayer of mine has been.  “Dear God please do not allow me to want that which You do not want me to want.”  I have to take that prayer more seriously, trusting Him to work in my mind and heart to make it so.
Jesus asks us: Mar 8:36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?  From this I must learn to ask, when I sense covetousness stirring, “Of what benefit would this be to my soul?”

If our Redeemer and Sustainer can be counted on to provide a way out of temptation how much more will He provide what we need, be it computers, cars, cash or cookies, for us to effectively do the work He has given us to do?

So, if like me you struggle against covetousness.  If it surpasses you by sniping or ambush press your attack in the strength of the Lord.  Say, “No, no, a million times no!”  And trust that your desire to overcome, to be free of this, “most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin,” is His as well.

No comments: