Tuesday, November 20, 2012

peirazō; Examine Yourselves 112012


I had a - well - vision?  Ok - maybe an illusion?  Or perhaps just a cool idea???

OK - I was in bed reading my evening devotional piece and the author was speaking a great deal about the battle we face with the world, the flesh and the devil.  In the midst of all this I had this - thing - pop into my head.

I saw (?) a person surrounded on three sides by their enemies.  In one of those very zealous "Yeah duhhh!!" moments I thought. "There is only one way to go!!"

Ok - please don't start the index finger, "one way" thing.

I know it sounds really simple and silly but with everything else I had been reading, for some reason, this really made an impact.

I (can I say "we?") do have only one way to go.  Or at least we need to decide that.  I could not help thinking of the idea of "back"-sliding or the admonition to not turn from the way - either to the left or the right.  

What is hard is to accept the fact that "in Christ" we finally have a choice.  Before we were made alive in Him we had no choice.  We were "by nature" objects of wrath, enemies of God, excluded from the promises.  We were SLAVES (we really don't understand that well enough) - to sin.  We were in bondage.  We were children of Satan.  Hence there was NO facility, ability or utility whereby we could make any real choice - and especially right or godly one.

Now, in Christ, we are free and we not only can but we must make choices - minute by minute by minute.  Do we go back?  Do we turn left?  Do we turn right?  Or do we go forward?

Remember the moving sidewalks in airports?  They were a little scary.  But, think about it - grace has provided us with a moving sidewalk (ok - poor analogy but it works with me).  We are in His "Way."  We move forward by His power.  If we turn back we hinder our progress (and that of those on the road sidewalk with us).  If we jump off - either to the left or the right we no longer have His forward moving power and our progress is hindered.

His "moving sidewalk" only goes one way to one goal.  We can, by combining our efforts with the power He has already provided, move more swiftly and efficiently or we can just take the ride - His power will get us where we are going.

But, 1. We have to stay on the sidewalk. And 2. If we just "take the ride" and do not engage what He has given us to do - I promise it will be a very boring ride. You will get off and on the sidewalk and you may well start walking backwards, fighting His forward movement of you.

OK - all analogies die a terrible death if stretched too far.  So let's drop that one.

Christ does not just call us to eternal life in the future but he calls us to actually live it here and now.  Too many of us are made alive in Him and we either hide in the tomb, refuse to unwrap the shroud, we keep ducking back into the tomb or some combination of the three (there may be more but I don't see 'em).  Live people do not belong in tombs or shrouds!  But tombs make good hiding places and shrouds make good camouflage.

Ok - theological narrow ledge here --- Jesus may have your soul - your "eternal" life(think the Greek "zoa")- but if you're not exercising the faith you've been given - then the world, the flesh and the devil are in control of your life (thing the Greek "bios").  

You are not amphibious.  You can not live in heaven and visit hell for brief vacations.  You have been regenerated for heaven - hell does not suit you--

UNLESS

Unless you never were regenerated to begin with.

We go to the doctor to examine our state of health. We examine our bank statements to determine our financial condition.  We take our car to the shop to determine its condition.  We examine our dwellings to determine its soundness.  But all too few of us ever intentionally examine our spiritual condition.

We just assume that because we once "went forward." "raised out hands," or "prayed a prayer," that we're good to go.  And unless God in His grace and mercy jerks a knot in our hearts or minds we just don't have the time nor the concern to examine them in relation to Him.


This is not faith, it's presumption.  

Peter writes that He has given us everything we need for life and godliness.  Do you have any idea what we have been "given" for that?  Yes, believers are given salvation but that is the end game not the journey.  

Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you fail to meet the test! I hope you will find out that we have not failed the test.   (2Co 13:5-6)

What part of that does not apply to you?  The word translatred "recognize" in some versions and 'realize" in others is the word "epiginosko," which carries the meaning:
1) to become thoroughly acquainted with, to know thoroughly
1a) to know accurately, know well
2) to know
2a) to recognise
2a1) by sight, hearing, of certain signs, to perceive who a person is
2b) to know, i.e. to perceive
2c) to know, i.e. to find out, ascertain
2d) to know, i.e. to understand

How we could claim to have that knowledge based simply on a one time response we made is beyond me.

Just take a simple test:
No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."  (Luk 16:13)

Note:  "money" is the Greek word "mammon" which means treasure.  Extending it we can apply it to worldly concerns, worldly focus, indeed we can apply it to self - self dependency, self-serving, self-protection.  It is a treasure opposed to God.  In short, idolatry.

Well?  How are we doing?  Let me ask you this - and I do not ask in a vacuum because I'm living just at the poverty line.  In these tough times what concerns you more; God or Mammon?  His glory of your needs and wants?  What you do not have or what He has given you?    

I will continue the devotionals of Peter but I am beginning another series concerning how we can live with bold assurance.  That bold assurance comes not by flashes of light, not by visions, not by miracles but bu the faithful exercise of our faith in the performance of our duties and obligations as citizens of His Kingdom - subjects of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

I am writing this series much more for myself than for you.  I almost have a panic attack at every loss of opportunity to earn a living and especially as I look ahead and see very real needs for which I have no means.  So please do not think I'm talking out of my hat.

Two passages from scripture engage me in this - two passages that re-direct my mind and heart when I feel myself tempted to jump the moving sidewalk of walk in the opposite direction.

First is Job's statement:
Though he slay me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face. (Job 13:15)

The second is from Jesus:
"Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done."   (Luk 22:42)

I pray that God will comfort and strengthen us all as we examine ourselves.

Of course, my "ace in the hole" is:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.   (Pro 3:5-7)

No comments: