Friday, November 16, 2012

Promises of God: Principal and Less Principal

The Puritans viewed God's promises as being noted in several categories.  These were (in general):
Legal
Evangelical
General
Principal (and less principal)
Direct (also deduced or implied by consequences)
Absolute/Conditional

They firmly believed that we were to engage these promises in our prayers.  To seek the promisor for that which He promised.

Today - unfortunately - there is little distinction between the promises on the basis of their context and intent.  Hence we suffer from a mis-appropriation of these promises in our prayers.  I would have us look at one category, that of the Principal (and less principal) promises of God

The Principal promises all concern the promise of righteousness and the remission of sins.  Herein we have the, if you will excuse to term, ultimate promises, the aim of the coming, death and resurrection of Christ.  These, for me, are the promises beneath which all other or in which all other promises must be viewed, considered, contemplated and sought.  Outside the context of redemption the "promises" are either mute of very bad news.

In seeking God's provision or keeping of His promises men tend to prioritize them on the basis of their "felt-needs."   This is not unexpected because the flesh is still strong in us and it would have itself comforted.  But, it is not been,   nor will it be the purpose of God to satisfy our fleshly desires (which we tend to elevate to the level of needs.)

His promises "fulfilled," - are those regarding our salvation and all that contains - we do not need to seek them.  We do however need to start with those fulfilled promises in order to qualify or govern our seeking all the others.  To seek the provision of what God has promised apart from those principal and fulfilled promises creates the danger of praying in the flesh - or worse, for the flesh.

Directly related to the Principal promises are what is referred to as the Less principal promises.  Among these we find promises like the deliverance from affliction, safety in danger, health and even prosperity.  It is hoped that one does not have any difficulty in seeing why these would be principal yet "lesser," promises.

The lesser-ness of these promises, for me, is seen in the overall purpose of the redeemed to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  With that is the duty of the redeemed to serve God in His purposes whether those purposes are agreeable to our "flesh" or our comfort.

The question to ask is, "Would I stand in the way of God's principal promises to others (as if I could) in order to have a lesser principle promise met in my life?  Or, "Would I balk at adversity and a lack of comfort if that was His means of blessing me and/or others?"

 Getting practical I ask, "Will I pray for prosperity if, in my lack of it, I grow in dependence upon Him and others are blessed by His faithfulness in my lack of it?"

"Will I pray for health if, in my dis-ease I am a witness to Him?"

"Will I pray for anything that might hinder my being conformed to the likeness of His Son?"

Or will I always begin with, "Lord I know that Your grace is sufficient for me and Your strength in made manifest in my weakness?"  Or to put a fine point on it, will I always begin my prayer not just with the words but with the intent of the words, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done"?

"If it be Thy will," is not some prayerful cop-out.  It is not some
"covering our bets" in the matter of faith.  No indeed, "If it be Thy will," is the greatest statement of faith a believer can make.  Especially when under trials and difficulties.

"If it be Thy will," is the declaration by the believer that not only is God sovereign but that God is - in our belief - only good.  AND that whatever is part of His working out His purpose in the world and in (or through) our lives is THE greatest good.

There is a spirit (I use that word guardedly) of evil presumption abroad in the world when it comes to the promises of God.  Men and women are encouraged - sometimes commanded to pray with a spirit of presumption with little regard for the will of God as we find it in the Word.

It is God's will that I enjoy health and wealth - it is His promise to me.  But for me to presume I may have it here and now and now there and then is hubris of the most malignant sort.  God owes us nothing.  Too many pray as though He did.  In that praying I worry that they can't see that their very presumption minimizes what God has done for us in Christ.  It just smacks of a "Not good enough God."

May we pray for health and even wealth?  Certainly!  But we must remembers that our God is a good God and that the bread we seek may indeed be a snake we should avoid.

We must always consider that though we may not "like" the circumstances He has placed us in - they are for His glory, the edification of His Body and our conforming into the likeness of His Son.

If you struggle in keeping the Principal promises clear and correctly prioritized seek His help - whether in healing, correcting or refining.  The flesh will demand what it wants and sometimes through the warping of the Word of God its demands seem legitimate.  We must pray that this delusion be removed from our thinking, that our flesh be subdued and that our understanding and appreciation of ALL the promises of God to ALL His people are ALL important but not all "our" priorities align with His fulfilling His will (which is the fulfilling of His promises).

As I work with men and women who dearly desire to be conformed to His will I am never surprised to find a battle between hubris and humility.  Indeed I can find it all the way back to Adam - Let us sincerely pray for the sincere ability to pray - "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done," and for the hearts to accept the answer whatever its form.

In the wilderness Satan confronted and tempted Jesus with the promises of God.  Seems he still using that trick - only we keep falling for it.  If you d not know the Word - the context of the promises - you'll fall for it every time.

No comments: