Sunday, October 23, 2011

Applying a scrpupture left-handedly . . . (bruised reeds-reprint)

I tend to think left-handedly.  That's just my way of saying "weirdly."

For some reason Paul's question and answer in Romans just kept popping up in my mind:

 

 Rom 3:1-2 (ESV)

 

(Rom 3:1) Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the value of circumcision?  2) Much in every way. To begin with, the Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God.

 The problem is that it keeps popping up as I think and pray about we bruised reeds. 

It goes like this:

 

"What advantage has the (insert diagnosis)?  What is the value of treatment/therapy?  Much in every way!"

No, I'm not trying to put a happy face on this!  I'm serious.

What advantage?

We know suffering.  We know it like few others can.  We look OK and most of the time we act OK but we're different - we suffer.

We suffer from not being able to know the simple joys most others take for granted.

We suffer from wanting to weep when everyone else is laughing.

We suffer from others fearing us or at leasat being uncomfortable around us.

We suffer not being understood except by a very few.

We suffer a perverse sort of pity.

We suffer rejection and isolation.

What advantage is this?  Well, we can see Christ in a way others usually can't.  For us, and so many who are different, the hope of His coming is more than just some airy fairy hope of heaven.  For us it is a hope of wholeness and acceptance and peace.  Advantage?  Yes - or at least possibly.  Our hope in Him is not only salvific but it is truly a loosing from bondage - a freeing from suffering - it is also ultimate acceptance.

This gives us a unique perspective on all things God.  We wrestle with His sovereignty like most others don't.  We wrestle with His encouragement like most others don't.  We really wrestle with Him.  The, "why me," fight is the fight we fight.  The, "please love/accept me," is the plea we plea.  The, "my light is mostly shadows," is the truth of our ever day.

If we accept our suffering (I don't mean like it) we will see that the perspective of life and all things God that it enables us to have is mighty.  We know better than most that there is life at the end of the tunnel becasue we live in the tunnel all the time.  Our hope is tenatious, even obnoxious, becasue it fights every moment of every day to stay alive.  We know and it is the knowledge that sustains us becasue the feeling just isn't there.

What value?

We spend a great deal of time dealing with our selves.  I don't mean self-absorbtion but rather self-examination.

We examine or thoughts

We examine our past.

We examine our wants.

We examine our wounds.

We examine our fear.

We examine our hope.

We examine our impulses

(Rom 12:2) Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

 

(2Cor 13:5) Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?-unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

(1Thess 5:21) but test everything; hold fast what is good.

 2Cor 12:7-9 (ESV)   7) So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited.   8) Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.  9) But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

 There is indeed much advantage and value.  We, unlike many, are not afraid to wrestle with God - to question - to bug - to ittitate (if that's possible).  We live with our, "yeah but....."  We face our, "if he really loved me......"  We never get rid of our, "why me......."

 

 We are not victims we are fighters.  The mere fact that you're sitting there reading this proves you're a fighter.  We are not survivors - that's somebody on a desert island - we're victors - we've victoriously made it to another day by His grace and providence.

 

 I am NOT trying to "cheer you up!"  If you're like me there's not much "feeling" there (and if there is it's more of a "Yeah sure..." than a "Cool!"

 

 What I want you to see is simply the facts . . . .and we are not alone.............................

 

 I want you to read the two following verses.  They are from the same person, in the same letter, to the same audience.  See anything interesting or curious about them??

2Cor 1:8  (ESV) For we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself.

 2Cor 4:8-10 (ESV)  8) We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9) persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;  10) always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm    Any thoughts???

No comments: