Friday, December 7, 2012

Examine yourself - Contentment 004


Examine yourself -  Contentment 004

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. (Philippians 4:11 ESV)

LEARNED
Just a little backing up.  If you want to begin to study the Word, I have a few simple suggestions.  First, get a good translation of the Word and get one that has cross-references.  The Thompson-Chain Reference is a good option and it comes in several translations.  Second, get a good Bible Atlas.  I like the ESV Bible Atlas.  An Atlas will really help you understand the context of the scriptures you are reading.  Finally - and this is a biggy for me - get a copy of William Ames' book, The Marrow of Theology.  This is a very simple and clear outline of theology - not full of arguments, etc.  

These resources will be a big help as you begin your studies.  Stay away from "issue specific" books - especially those which tell you "how to," or get all wrapped up in areas of speculation, i.e. Revelation, millennial issues, demons, even money.  You don't want to get so hung up on one tree that you miss the forest!

OK - LEARNED

Let's talk Holy Spirit.  We can get into all kinds of long and tedious discussions about the Holy Spirit and the fruits and gifts but - let's not!

The Holy Spirit is both Comforter and Reminder.  He is given in sufficient and necessary measure to every believer.  There is no necessity for any more-than-ordinary signs of Him being given.  He is given - and that is that.

So???????

How He works is not a concern of mine.  That He works in us is.  He is sent to comfort us and to remind us.  Yes, I know He is the "seal" of our salvation, but He is also active in us.  
OK, He is active in us and if we pay attention with intention, we will see His working.  No thunder or lightening but some very curious moments of comfort and remembering.  I know - I seem to be getting a little weird.   But a couple of things I've experienced make me lean towards being weird.

Every once in a while I will have someone relate something they heard me say in a lesson and I am clueless about having said it.  It's not in my notes and it is unfamiliar to my recollection.  Thankfully, it is something true and sound but it is not something "I" thought up.  Now you can get as skeptical as you want, but I KNOW I didn't come up with it and so I "blame" ;-) the Spirit for a timely word for me to speak that - well - I didn't know I spoke.  I'm not trying to get all mystical or even miraculous here - it just has happened and I cannot lay claim to it.

I've also been reading the Word – something I’ve read time and time again and "Bam," I realize something I never saw before.  Of course I run to some good resources to check myself.  But I believe it's just (just????) the Spirit doing what He does in the hearts and minds of believers.

On the flip side, I have found myself convicted out of the blue and embarrassed (ok, more chagrined) that I had never seen that issue as an issue - if I saw it at all.  It's wonderfully humbling and assuring when that happens - It's not fun but it does get the job done.
My point, I guess, is this.  You don't need all the bells and whistles that are commonly attributed to the Spirit for Him to be working in your life.  He works in many, many ways, but we've somehow gotten diverted by all the yeeehaaaw things that are seen to be His.  I believe that He is more often the "still small voice," as opposed to the attention grabbing event.  

He can and has provided much for believers in the way of knowledge and insight when there was little to work with in the first place.  But folks, I believe that the more of the Word we get in our minds and hearts, the more He has to work with.  I believe the more we exercise our faith in the simple and mundane things like prayer, study and worship, the more regularly He works in us.

Hey, I'm more than willing to be absolutely wrong here.  But what I know to be true has served to undergird and confirm what I have experienced which is what I build my belief and trust on.  

It's not sitting around waiting for Him to do or say or impart something.  It's slowly, deliberately, regularly and earnestly engaging in the "disciplines," of our faith that makes us more sensitive and available to His working.  Now, that's my carefully determined view - it does not have to be yours.

But we all need to desire His working in our lives.  He is the only means of our growth - it is by His power working on and in us that we must rely upon for any kind of progress along the Way.  You can quote the Bible from cover to cover but without Him and His work - that's all you can do.

I don't believe you have to pray for Him to "come," or "be present."  I just think you have to be faithfully obedient and available and PAYING ATTENTION to see how He is in you and works in you.  You are "filled" by Him - everywhere you go and in everything you do He is present - think on that one.  Every poke of conscience and every inspiration to serve comes from Him.  Most of all, the power to keep going is all of Him and none of us.

I had a coach whose rule was - "You don't come to practice, you don’t get in the game."  He knew that unless we practiced individually and as a team, victory was dubious at best.  Practicing our faith, engaging in the "exercises" of our faith makes us fit and hail to be put into the game.  Trust me, God calling someone out of the bleachers to play is the exception, never the rule.

No comments: