Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Examine yourself - Contentment 001

I'm beginning a series on Contentment.  Why"  Well because "things" are tough for a lot of us right now and if you're like Patti and I, it's is really easy to get bogged down in them.  I'm not writing form some ivory tower but from the trenches where "hand to mouth," is a very  uncomfortable reality.  We are struggling on living "God to mouth," and it's tough - contentment is a real challenge.

Examine yourself - Contentment  001

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  (Philippians 4:11-13 ESV)

Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.   (1 Timothy 6:6-8 ESV)

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?" 
(Hebrews 13:5-6 ESV)

One of the signs of our maturing in the faith is contentment.  I don't know about you - but for me that's a tough one.  From my studies I see contentment as the resulting sense or composure of trusting in God's goodness and the goodness of His providence.

If you read the verse above closely it is obvious that what battles against contentment is - well - stuff.  By stuff I mean everything in this world from food to all that neat goodies.  Regardless of the stuff we look at (food or cultural signs of prosperity) contentment is tough.

Contentment is not just sucking it up and carrying on.  There is a definitive element of satisfaction in true contentment.  It's a "This is fine," perspective on our present conditions and provision.  Like I said, it's tough.

Of course the clearest demonstration of the lack of contentment is seen in Israel's exodus from Egypt.  Once they were out they immediately began to grumble and mummer against God.  Basically they felt that all He had done was not sufficient for them to trust Him and they didn't see what He was doing as "good enough."

They "murmured," or "grumbled," against God and His provision.

They were DIS-contented.  Discontent has within it elements of bitterness and anger so we may assume that contentment is, at least in part, an absence of bitterness and anger.
But here's my conundrum.  I find that event though I don't express bitterness and anger at God's provision I am still anxious and fretful about it.  I also have to admit that when His provision is not what I wanted or expected I fall into a rather grudging "suck it up and take it," mode.

What I want to do is to live with praise and thanksgiving in my heart for what He has given me right now.  That is number one.  Then, number two is to joyfully and expectantly look forward to whatever He has for me in tomorrow.  

I find the worst word that can com to my mind is, "but."  
BUT;
It's not what I wanted
It's not what I expected
It's not what I needed
It's no what "I" ---------
BUT:
Will He provide for this need I know it coming and what do I do if He doesn't?
Will He give enough?
Will He determine that I am to go through a trial concerning this?

Then there are all the possible negative scenarios that may result.  Then there are all the possible ways I can fix it.  The there are all the reasons that He should just ell me that I made my bed and I'll have to lie in it - alone.  Then there are all the reasons I know I don't deserve for Him to do anything.

Yeah, it kind of snowballs in your head and weighs heavily on your heart.  
Working backwards, the passage from Hebrews is a help.  The writer begins with the admonition to, "Keep your life free from love of money,"  Nice translation but a little short.  Actually the word means "unavoritious," or "un-coveting."  of course the idea is to not love money but it is bigger - much bigger than that.

Money is a means - a means of power and a means of provision.  This is why Jesus tells us we can either love Mammon (money) or God but not both.  We can get want we want and need via money (a mere means)- or we can get what we truly need (wants are another matter) from God.

Here's the conflict.  Money I can "get" or God I must trust.
So this is where we begin - hope you'll follow along!

No comments: