Sunday, December 9, 2012

Examine yourself - Contentment 005


Examine yourself -  Contentment 005

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. (Philippians 4:11 ESV)

LEARNED
The Word and the Spirit - our two key blessings for learning - our two essential and necessary blessings.

But - we don't have to be passive.  Actually we shouldn't be.

Remember that old song, I Fall Asleep Counting My Blessings?  Well it's better to count them before you fall asleep.

Now for most of us, keeping a journal or diary is just not something we consider.  But it is a valuable investment of time and effort.  Just as God has recorded His will and work in the Bible, we can record His will and work in our lives in a diary or a journal.

I think this works best if we keep it simple - and I've tried just about every method possible from a voice recorder to a "cloud" journal.  After a lot of stops and starts, I ended up back at paper and pen.  

Here's what I use.  I have a Moleskine Monthly Notebook - the pocket size.  I have two pages for the current month and two blank lined pages after the two monthly pages.  I keep my calendar and then on the two blank-lined pages I keep track of what God is doing in my life.  

I don't go into great detail - I write just enough to inform myself later.

Why?

If we don't keep some kind of record, we will forget and miss opportunities for prayer, repentance - opportunities for growth.

Ever been in a meeting and spoken ill?  Well you can "jot" that down in the notebook without making a big deal of it.  

Ever had someone ask for prayer and then much later you remember?  Jot it down in the notebook.  Heard a great insight in a sermon?  Jot it down.  Ever been blindsided by your sin?  Jot is down.  Even gotten an unexpected blessing?  Jot it down.

It is said that those who fail to learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them.  Well, if there is no history kept, we're just going to keep making the same mistakes and sinning the same sins.

OK - so someone out there is going to ask where I keep my business notes if my personal notes are in the notebook.  Simple, I use 3x5 cards for meeting notes.  They fit in the notebook cover I got from, Levengers for my Moleskine - no problem.  The cards get filed in a small 3x5 index file box and there ya go.

The main point is that in order to effectively examine ourselves we really do need to keep some kind of record.  Ever gone to worship feeling like it was the last place you wanted to go and then left worship walking inches off the ground?  That needs to be recorded and examined.  Ever had a sermon or lesson "hit you the wrong way”? (yeah - as if we get hit a right way) -- Anyway, this is something worth noting and examining later --- "Why?"

Look, you're going to find sin when you do this - and that's good.  It should be no great shock anyway - godly dismay yes - shock no.  This isn't about beating yourself up.  It's about getting to know, understand and appreciate you and your walk in the Way.
Another great use for recording this is that it really does "preserve" the evidence that you are His and growing in Him.  With my counseling clients, I always keep a sheet in their file that lists all the wonderful and powerful things they share - ya know why?  Because they don't - so they forget the very evidence the experience.  It's really wonderful to testify to someone about the Lord working in and through them from evidence they themselves gave me weeks or months before.

Think about this - sin is sin is sin - right?  Growth is growth is growth - right?  But you are utterly unique - totally unique by God's design.  So your sin and your growth are totally unique - there are no cookie-cutters on the Way.  We get made of the same stuff but every mold is broken after one use.

If you are the object of God's grace and mercy, you certainly can pay a little attention to yourself - right?

Write it down - examine it - rejoice and/or repent - but, examine yourself.

No comments: