Thursday, December 13, 2012

Examine yourself - Contentment 008


Examine yourself - Contentment 008

But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women would speak.

Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?"

In all this Job did not sin with his lips.   (Job 2:10 ESV)

"Evil" - from the Hebrew word meaning: literally by breaking to pieces.

Job understood and submitted to the sovereignty of God.  Happy he was not – but content?  I think so.

However, contentment is not just an, "Oh well, what can I do, God is bigger than me."

Though he slay me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face.  (Job 13:15 ESV)

Ah, how wonderfully human is Job.  He has committed his hope to God and is content but he will "yet" go to God and plead his case.  He is bold before the Lord but not rebellious.

And so . . . . .

This will be my salvation, that the godless shall not come before him.

Keep listening to my words, and let my declaration be in your ears. Behold, I have prepared my case; I know that I shall be in the right. Who is there who will contend with me? For then I would be silent and die.

Only grant me two things, then I will not hide myself from your face: withdraw your hand far from me, and let not dread of you terrify me. Then call, and I will answer; or let me speak, and you reply to me.

How many are my iniquities and my sins? Make me know my transgression and my sin. Why do you hide your face and count me as your enemy?   (Job 13:16-24 ESV)

I'd paraphrase this as Job crying out, "Wait - wait - no more - let's talk about this.  What have I done to deserve this?"

And so we do the same don't we?  When we are in a place where our fleshly contentment is threatened we cry out to God, "What have I done to deserve this"  why are You picking on me?"

Teachable moment:
Remember, if God gave us what we deserved, we'd all be in hell right now.  We do not really want what we deserve!  That would not be a good thing!

Job is not happy - but happiness is not the same as contentment.  I believe that Job was content but confounded and confused - which is not unnatural.  But Job's hope was still in the God who had allowed these calamities to befall him.

I don't believe that God wants us to like or enjoy trials and adversity.  I would be worried about anyone who liked them.  But I know that God desires us to understand the purpose (and there is a purpose) for them.  For the believer they are neither arbitrary nor are they punishment.

Note:  "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat.” (Luke 22:31 ESV)

Uhhhhhhh - there is a real parallel here to Job's circumstances.

Note:  “but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."   (Luke 22:32 ESV)

Uhhhhhhhh - we are not alone or helpless.

Note:  Peter said to him, "Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death."   (Luke 22:33 ESV)

Uhhhhhhh - We think too much of ourselves.

Note:  Jesus said, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me."   (Luke 22:34 ESV)

Uhhhhhh - See what I mean?

Job was blind-sided.  Peter had clear specific warning, assurance and purpose.  But there is little difference in God's purpose in these two circumstances.  His purposes were: to glorify Himself; to refine both Job and Peter; and to present us with a greater understanding of God's working in and through His people than either Peter or Job had.

If you have been strengthened and encouraged by either or both of these examples, would you be willing to be one who experiences such trials to encourage others?  If God so desires to use you and your adversities to encourage and instruct His, could you be content with that?  Would that excite you?  If God simply wants you to go through adversity so that you will be more conformed to the likeness of His Son - could you be content with that?

I think most of us would react like Peter - but also like Peter, we would be way off base.






No comments: