Friday, August 17, 2012

Me 081612


I used to think I was grateful to God for all He has done is  doing and will be doing in our lives.  Boy was I wrong!!

On the recommendation of my Pastor I started reading The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel.  Notwit’s an old book written in a very different time but it’s presentation on Providence is powerful.

Here’s the “Aha!”

A one point Flavel talks about the “providence’ of being raised in a Christian home.  Well, I wasn’t – not even close.  But that got me thinking about what was providential in getting to where I am with Him today.  Then I began to see with a new clarity and understanding.
Her name was Grace Hood Sanders.  She was my fraternal grandmother.  She was over 6 feet tall, built like a block-house and had a mustache.  She also loved Jesus like you wouldn’t believe.  She was an avid member of the church next door to her house (interestingly named “Grace Baptist) in Chattanooga, TN.  She was a big fan of Oral Roberts and a real hard core prayer.

She was also reviled and I guess you could say persecuted by her own family.  Her husband ignored her, her daughter and oldest son humored her and my father ridiculed her.  But she held firm in her faith and every summer when we visited off we’d go on Sunday to church with her –  “we” was my sister and I.

But when I was very young she said she’d give me a dollar if I would memorize John 3:16.  OK, in my immediate family a dollar was not such a big deal.  But something made me anxious about memorizing the verse.  Not excited – but anxious – it was strange.  But, memorize it I finally did – and I got my dollar.

My point is that Grace has always been a big part of my memories.  I have lived in awe of her and until the other day, I never knew why.  Now I do.  Among a lot of other ways I see His providence in my early life – from bombings to really bad car wrecks to simple kindnesses, Grace  Sanders looms largest – now.

It was through this big, loving, faithful Christian woman, whom I rarely ever saw, that a seed was planted in my heart.  I like to say that I couldn’t remember a time I didn’t know who Jesus was and what He did for me.  Well now I can – it was before Grace Sanders told me His story and implanted the first little piece of His Word in my mind and heart.

This realization has resulted in a whole new understanding and sense of gratitude in my heart.  When I realized this wonderful providence I began to see His hand working through so many others as he shaped and molded and refined me.  The number of those whom He used is legion.  From a  business executive who mentored me in high school, to Sinclair, to some I have discipled, to some who were not believers, to strangers at Caribou,  to my current Pastor, God has had many hands busy in my life.

It’s overwhelming and wonderful.  I recommend the book but I also encourage you to take time to remember those whom He has used to care for you.  Some will be glaringly obvious but I assure you, there are many many more.  It just takes a little digging to find them.
To all of you whom He has used in my life.  Thank you and God bless you and praise Him for you.

No comments: