Wednesday, August 29, 2012

This and That – Flavel & Fear - 082712


I just finished J. Flavel’s classic, The Mystery of Providence, and then I found his work, Triumphing Over Sinful Fear.  Had to take my Pastor to task for that – he told me about the work on Providence but not the one on Fear.  I have to wonder what other treasures he’s hiding (laugh-out-loud –hahaha).

Anyway – this version of the book I am reading is a well “modernized” edition – so the 17th century language hurdle isn’t there.

Fear is “gooba”- that’s good and bad.  Flavel presents us with three kinds of fear.

Natural fear “It is the trouble or agitation of mind that arises when we perceive approaching evil or impending danger. It is not always sinful, but it is always the fruit and consequence of sin.  Natural fear is a pure and simple passion of the soul.”

Religious fear:  “There is a holy and laudable fear, which is our treasure, not our torment.  But the awful, filial fear of God is the natural passion sanctified—changed and baptized into the name and nature of a spiritual grace.”

Sinful fear:  “Arises from unbelief—an unworthy distrust of God.  Sinful fear is the disordered and corrupt passion of the soul.”
Flavel, John (2011-12-27). Triumphing Over Sinful Fear (Puritan Treasures for Today) Reformation Heritage Books. Kindle Edition.

I’m really excites about getting into this book.  Fear is a biggy for a lot of us especially in these terrible times.  There are so many things we all face and they loom so very BIG in our minds and hearts.  A focused study concerning fear can only help us grow and be strengthened.

I was reflecting on God’s provision yesterday and I was getting a little anxious about our needs when it hit me.  Yesterday – we had everything we needed!  We didn’t lack for anything. 

Then the little voices in my head started to go to work.  Sins of the past, stupid moves, unfaithfulness – all of that began to squeeze my heart.  Realizing where this came from (the dark one) I began to respond with all the grace and mercy God has and is pouring out on Patti and me. 

Oh, I agreed with those voices about each and every accusation.  However I responded with, “But Jesus…………”  What a powerful moment!  No heavenly chorus, no feeling of warmth or light just a quietness and sense of comfort.  Sure – every sin that was brought to my mind was tight on the money.  But when the voices started to tell me that because of them God was punishing me I refused to buy it – by the blood of the Redeemer.  I made it plain that God is disciplining us but that there was no punishment!

Fear can cripple.  Fear can tear down.  Fear can distract us from grace and mercy.  Fear can make us question God’s might and love.  But only if we do not remember whose we are and what he has done, is doing and can do.

When fear assaults us it is good to remember all He has done.  At the end of Flavel’s book on Providence he strongly recommends keeping a journal or some sort of record of Gods provisions, past and present.  OK – I am a writer but I’ve always felt a little dumb doing a journal thing.  But, in faith, I started. 

I carry a little notebook in my back pocket and my trusty “space-pen” in another pocket and I make a simple not of His provision(s).  It’s not a “Dear diary” thing.  I just make a short note; a name, a time, whatever.  Just enough for me to remember.  I also mark my notes.  I use a “!” for praise/thanksgiving, a “?” for concerns, a (-) for needs and a (+) for good stuff (I have a lot of “!+” in my notebook.

This has made a powerful difference for me as I go through the day.  And at night as Patti and I kneel for prayer I am ready to offer both praise and petition from a knowing place. 
I’m probably going to add some mark like ($) to record the fears that come to mind as well.  I picked the $ sign because that seems to be a real sharp stick for me. 
I can’t give a glowing recommendation for Flavel’s book on Fear since I haven’t read all of it – but if it is anything like his work on Providence – WOW!

I’ve created me a little “thing” I will use when I am afraid.  I’ve based it upon a scripture text.
Jesus said:
Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.  Mat 10:31

So, when fear comes I will “Fear” and examine the cause of the fear – if it is natural or religious fear – then I will prayerfully deal with it.   If it is sinful fear then I will “not.”  Fear----Not!

I’m also trying to think like a sparrow - ;-}}}}}}}

No comments: