Saturday, August 25, 2012

Not junk - art!


A creating power can, not only bring something out of nothing, but contrary out of contrary.   Sibbes, Richard (2012-04-24). The Soul's Conflict With Itself: And Victory Over Itself By Faith. (p. 296). A Puritan At Heart Press. Kindle Edition.

If of nothing, God created everything, then out of coal He can create a diamond. 
In our struggle – nay battle against the flesh we do not always win.  Indeed we fail often.  In those times I am threatened with a sense of futility and frustration.  Will I ever, “Get it right?” is just one of the hopelessness inducing thoughts.  When my attention is forced upon my utter unworthiness either by my being prompted to look of my nose being stuck in I default to everything that ever made me feel, “not good enough.”

I don’t know about you but I do know that I don’t like seeing my sins.  But see them I must for if I do not see them what value does His sacrifice have in my heart.  If I am folled into thinking I’m “Ok,” I am fooled indeed and I lose sight and sense of the great grace He has called me with and to.

Out of utter nothing He brought His creation.  Out of my corruption and sin He brings a saint.  Nothing can stop Him.  His intention is never to be thwarted.  We may think we can resist but we can’t.  We may think “we” fail but we must know He cannot.
We are, as much as DNA and the cosmos, His workmanship. 

Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

As a friend of mine says, “God doesn’t make junk!”  I have a friend who works at a place where they forge metal.  There’s lots of scrap and “junk.”  This friend of mine takes these objects and created really fascinating and beautiful work of art with them.  I a human can do that, imagine what the God of all can do!

Oh if only we would accept the truth – all the truth of the Gospel and not pick and choose.   Yes, we sin, that is our battle – our battle against the flesh – the “body of death.”  Oh how I pray for you and I that we might come to the place where Paul found himself where he was able to proclaim with great sincerity and much joy:

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then,
I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.   Rom 7:24-25

No comments: