Friday, August 24, 2012

Worminess??? Why not??


C.H. Spurgeon used the word “worm” to refer to himself in contrast to the holiness of the Lord.  He uses “worm,” a lot. 

I get tickled at folks who just cringe at this appellation (like I used to).  It is kind of an icky way to view one’s self.  But if we just keep in mind the term is used in contrast to the wonder, righteousness, holiness and glory (to name a few attributes) of Christ, then I think we will be able to handle it well.

But I also think the “world” desperately wants us to ignore or reject that “worminess.” 
My first reaction to this was negative.  Hey, I work with people who are trying to improve their skills, talents, relationships, etc.  Calling them “worms” would not be productive – except in those few instances where my client is a believer.  But even still it’s a tough thing to accept.


Worms have no small importance in God’s creation!  They are no less important in “tending” God’s creation than we are.  They are part of the plan too.

No, I’m not expecting anyone other than believers to “get’ this.  And let’s not take this analogy too far. 

If I am a believer, my “worminess” has purpose and meaning.  The article above says, “Having worms around in your garden is a real good sign that you have a healthy soil.” 
Now that kind of relates to our role as His worms here.  We are light, we are salt and whoa to the places that have neither.  Of course, we are worms as well and whoa to the place that has no worms.

Think about this.  We consider ourselves, mankind, the pinnacle of creation – the “top.”  But where would we be without worms?  Wormlessness is not good – physically or spiritually.

No comments: