Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Us In Him 1


What is "Us In Him?”

UIH is a ministry dedicated to helping believers new and old grow in their knowledge, understanding and living out of the faith and to equipping them to use their gift for the works of service He has prepared for them.

But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.  (Mar 10:14)
and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.   (Mat 18:3)
The two verses above are at the heart of UIH.  Call it: Basic Christianity, Christianity 101 or Christianity ReBoot. 

Two things parents have taught me.  Children want to know “Why?” and children upon learning the word love, “No!”  Of course they are curious, creative, inventive and persistent. 

Children are fascinating.  Though it’s sometimes hard for grownups, listening to children is amazing.  Art Linkletter had a section on his old TV show called, “Kids say the darndest things.”  I don’t think I’ve ver had such wonderful bouts of laughter in my life. 

Without filters, with few social strictures and boundaries kids in their naiveté have a perspective and insight we sadly lose as we grow and mature.  The greatest thing about kids is they ask a lot of questions.  Sometime we think the question is simple only to discover that there is more to it.  Question – answer and then another question. 

The struggle for us comes when we try to give a single definitive answer.  Kids don’t have all the data we have so a single definitive answer is rarely an answer at all to them.  They need patience and attention as they ask and ask and ask.

When Jesus talks about becoming like little children I think part of that is His encouragement to us to keep asking questions and working for that answer that we understand.  There is an element of letting go of our knowledge and presuppositions that we need, to allow us to ask and answer well, so we can out put it all back together based upon the truth, His truth.

I came to Christ in college and brought all my knowledge and stuff with me.  It was hard to ask what felt like dumb questions.  I had a college degree, I ought to be able to figure it out  I can remember so many times when I had a burning question but held it back because I was afraid of looking dumb. 

UIH wants to be a place where there are no dumb questions.  A place where everyone takes on the demeanor of a child and allows themselves to engage in, well, Christ-child talk.  Every question is important – and important for us all no matter where we are in our walk.

I once worked in a music store where they repaired instruments.  The owner decided that he wanted me to learn to re-cork woodwind instrument – mostly clarinets.  As the repair guy taught me I felt really dumb.  He could do it with his eyes closed.  I watched him do about a dozen intruments and it was amazing.  Then one day I went in and he handed me a clarinet and told me to re-cork and re-pad it.  I went to the work station and began.  When I was done I took it to him and showed him my work.  I can’t remember his exact words but what comes to mind was, “That’s the worst repair job you’ll ever do.”

He expected me to make a mess of it.  He wasn’t surprised, he wasn’t angry he was actually pleased.  Why?  Because in showing him my mess I showed him what I could do and what I couldn’t do.  Now he could work from there in guiding me towards where he needed me to be.

This is the “vision” (I really don’t like that word) of UIH.  The assumption is that we all need guidance, encouragement, correction, admonishment – as Paul says:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. (2Ti 3:16-17)
And the author of Hebrews writes:
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.   (Heb 10:23-25)
UIH is a place where wounded, wandering, wondering and wild followers of the Master are sought, invited and welcomed.  It is meant to serve the church – it is simply where 2 or 3 gather in His name to to grow.
. . . . like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,  (1Pe 2:2)

No comments: